While exploring, you can save your work by saving a Look. This saves all of your choices for filters, visualizations, fields, sorting, and so forth. Once you’ve created a Look, you can save it for future use.
Both Looks and dashboards can be organized via spaces (e.g. “Marketing”, “Q4 Sales Review”) and later edited as needed.
Saving Looks From an Explore
To save a Look from an Explore:
- In the upper right, click the menu gear.
- Choose Save as a Look.
- In Title, enter a new title. If you will be saving over an existing Look, leave this blank.
- In Description, you can enter a description of the Look. If you will be saving over an existing Look, leave this blank.
- In Space, check whether the current space is the desired destination.
- If you want to save to a different space, navigate to the space where you want to save your Look. You can:
- In Spaces, click any parent spaces to navigate there.
- On the left side, click the name of a top-level space to navigate to it.
- On the right side, click the name of a sub-space you would like to use or that you would navigate through to one of its sub-spaces.
- If there are many subspaces, you can type the sub-space name into Search this Space to have the list filtered to just that sub-space.
The Space field shows the name and location of the selected space and the right side displays the contents of the selected space. If you choose a space in which are not allowed to save the Look, an alert is shown in the pop-up box footer.
- If you want to save over an existing Look, scroll down or use the Search this Space field to find and click the desired Look.
The Look’s title and description (if any) appear in the Title and Description fields.
- Save your Look.
- To save and view your Look, click Save.
- To save and return to the Explore page, click Save & Keep Exploring.
Navigating to Spaces to See Your Looks
You can see your company’s spaces by going to Looker’s Browse tab. The basics of navigating through these spaces is described in more detail on our Browsing Data in Looker page.
To rename an existing Look:
- Click the Browse tab and navigate to the space containing your Look.
- Click the gear to the right of your Look.
- Select Rename.
- Change the title as desired.
- Click Save.
To change the description for an existing Look, view the Look. In the Details pane’s Description, click Edit to add or edit the Look’s description.
To change the fields and other choices for a Look, view the Look and click Edit. When you have finished modifying the Look, click Save.
If you have the permission to do so, you can also give access to the Look via publicly-accessible URLs, described in more detail here.
Looks enable you to save the results of your exploration to view later or add to dashboards.