New to LookML development? Below is a list of resources to jump-start your learning.
Intro to LookML
1. Get Access to Looker’s Learning Environment
One of the best ways to learn Looker and LookML is to play in a safe environment with plenty of code examples to copy. Looker can provide you with an account on our learning environment, learn.looker.com. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
2. Learn How to Use Looker to Query and Explore Data
Knowing how to explore data in Looker will help you a great deal when modeling your data in LookML. If you’re not familiar with using Looker to query, filter, and drill into data, we suggest the following:
- Start with the Exploring Data tutorials. The links at the bottom of each page will guide you through a sequence of the most important Looker features.
- This video takes you through a high level product overview.
3. Review SQL Basics Before Diving Into LookML
Writing LookML requires an understanding of SQL queries. You don’t have to be a SQL guru, and even beginners can create powerful Looker models. But in general, the deeper you go in LookML, the more you benefit from a deeper knowledge of SQL.
If you need a SQL refresher, here are some of our favorite resources:
- Khan Academy’s SQL Lessons interactive SQL tutorials
- SQLzoo interactive SQL tutorials
- Sam’s Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes book by Ben Forta
4. Learn LookML Fundamentals
The resources below will jump-start your LookML knowledge. Use your learning account to experiment with different design patterns.
- Start with What is LookML? and LookML Terms and Concepts
- Continue to How Looker Generates SQL and Advanced LookML Concepts
- Once you have a good grasp of LookML and SQL read about our more advanced features like Derived Tables and Templated Filters
After you’ve learned LookML basics, use the LookML Reference regularly for details on each LookML parameter.
5. Consider Looker Training
Looker offers several classes for business users, beginning developers, and advanced developers. Check out our training events page for more information.